ADD KICK TO YOUR LWD FOR UNDER $100
Adding zip to a basic summer silhouette is a snap. Take the little white dress. Simply layering some dramatic accessories-a floaty paisley scarf, a chunky gold spike bracelet, a marigold African inspired bag-will transform your garment into a look to be reckoned with. The best part? All products are under $100!
THE LITTLE WHITE DRESS: H&M jersey white dress $12.95
STAY COOL AND LOOK HOT IN THESE SIX ALTERNATIVES TO SHORTS
There are a lot of great things about summer: cocktails al fresco, sandals, gelato and, of course, the beach! One not-so-great thing? The pressure to wear shorts. Newsflash: you don’t have to. There are plenty of airy options that are at once chic and comfortable during scorching summer days (and even work appropriate!). Here are some of my favorites:
(from left to right) H&M harem pants $17.95 \ Topshop satin crepe tapered trouser $80 \ Zara jacquard mini skirt $69.90 \ Asos midi skirt in floral lace $54.30 \ Old Navy striped drawstring dress $29.94 \ Milly delilah dress $395
The Ultimate “Wow Factor”? Vintage. ATK shows you how to be a vintage warrior with three levels of acquisition.
Freezing temps invite a host of winter woes. ATK breaks down 5 minutes fixes to nourish your face, hair and nails. READ FULL STORY
"Busy women have no moments to spare. Believe me, I get it. But I still manage to carve out the nanoseconds required to pull myself together. The trick? Having an arsenal of quickie style solutions at the ready."
Here, for the Chicago Sun-Times SPLASH, I show busy women some quick “five minutes fixes” to pull a look together in a snap.
OFFBEAT HOLIDAY GIFTS FOR THE IMPOSSIBLE TO PLEASE
Giving good gift is a challenge. Perfume? Slippers? Gloves? Fruitcake? BORING! For the hard to please guys and gals on your list… there is only one way to go… QUIRKY. Here an offering off-the-beaten-track prezzies to delight the most discerning folks on your list. Hey—and they’re affordable!
1. Knock Knock WTF Sticky Notes $3
2. Claw Bottle Opener $24
3. Kvetch as Kvetch Can $10
4. Nano Blocks Taj Mahal $20
5. Mark and Graham Domed Glass Monogrammed Paperweight $35
6. Cat TeePee $40
7. Nike Free FT $100
8. Suction iPhone Holder $4.95
9. Monogrammed Toilet Paper $10 per roll
10. Damn Good Advice $10
11. Flight 101 Tidy Pak $16
12. LaCie 32GB Rugged Key USB 3.0 Flash Drive $70
13. Jonathan Adler for eBay Holiday Collective Metallic (Disco) Picture Frame $62
14. Apples to Apples $22.99
15. The Original Backnobber $35
Each time I board a plane, I hear my grande dame of a granny’s words booming in my ear: “Always dress to impress! You can never make a second first impression.”
Here, for STYLELIST, I dissect the fashionable, functional power pieces that will make you look and feel great for long hail flights.
I love to entertain. And, crafting a dramatic and creative table is my favorite part. So, when AROUND TOWN anchor Ana Beleval asked if I wanted to turn my passion into a segment, I was thrilled. Yesterday we shot a story that showcased how to transform $50 of food from Costco into what looks like a $500 fancy schmancy spread. Yes, the food needs to be good. But, it can be very simple: cheeses, crudite, meats, guacamole. The trick? It’s all in the presentation. Design and fashion follow share the same principles. Skillful layering, bold pops of color and quirky accents are the ingredients to transform basic food or fashion into glamour.
- Use a ceramic tile to write out your menu. So Parisienne!
- Layering- your tablecloth with
- Style is in the details: Add unexpected accents like air plants and paper mache birds
- Items should pop on the table: make it colorful
- There is drama in diversity: Use a combination of wood, crystal and porcelain serving pieces. Matchy matchy is for weddings and Bar Mitzvahs
- Whip out the wedding gear: Make your table a glorious mélange of high/low. Just like Kate Moss pairs Chanel with ripped Levi cutoffs, your table will have that edge when you have sterling silver next to flea market finds.
- Fleur De Lis Erasable Ceramic Message Board $24.99 from classichostess.com
- Cylinder Beverage Dispenser with Chained Black Board on Rack $39.95 from classichostess.com
USE COUPON CODE “WGN10” FOR 10% OFF CLASSICHOSTESS.COM
- Libbey Flare 16 piece glassware set $22.99 from Kmart stores or kmart.com
- Trays $10-$20 each from Target and/or World Market
- Orange Zest Napkins, set of 6 $22.31 from Amazon Home amazon.com
- Fiesta bright stripe Table Cloth $24.25 from Amazon Home amazon.com
- Diamond plastic cutlery $10 from Amazon Home amazon.com
- Vintage tabletop from Randolph Street Market in Chicago
Im lucky. I travel frequently for work and get to Europe at least once a year. An exuberant shopper, I pick up bits and baubles from each and every jaunt. But, even if you cant get to your dream destination this summer, you can look as if you have just returned from a fab, farawy locale. My story in Marie Claire shows you how…read full story here!
Steaming temps & pool parties are the stuff of summer fantasies. But, the sun, heat and chlorine can wreak havoc on your body. How to protect yourself? By stashing an arsenal of five minute fixes in your beach bag; beauty tools designed to safeguard highlights, hair, eyes and skin from harmful effects of summer.
Dry, flaky lips are no fun. Keep your pucker in perfect condition with SPF infused product and a nourishing scrub
1. Bliss Fabulips Sugar Lip Scrub $18
2. Laura Mercier Hydratint with SPF 15 $20
3. Smashbox Limitless Long Wear Lip Gloss with SPF 15 $22
Sun is evil to those with chemically enhanced manes. Maintain highlights with UV protection
4. Fekkai Cooling Shine Mist $25
5. Bumble and Bumble Defrizz $26
6. Unite 7 Seconds Leave in Conditioner and Detangler $26.25
7. Redken Color Extend Sun Solar Spray $34.95
Not all sunscreens are created equal. The best are broad spectrum paraben free creams with moisturizing properties. Even if your makeup contains SPF, you should layer a hard-core sunscreen underneath for maximum protection.
8. SkinCeuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50 $32
9. Seventh Generation Baby Sunscreen SPF 30 $13.99
10. Sunology Natural Sunblock Stick SPF 35 $12.99
11. Josie Maran Argan Sun Protection SPF 30 $24
12. Sonya Dakar Daily Face Shield SPF 30 $45
Itchy eye. Smelly armpits. Sunburn. Be prepared for every situation with a stash of minis in your bag.
16. Atopalm Moisturizing Cleansing Wipes $14
17. Clear Eyes Itchy Eye Relief $1.20
18. Lavanila The Healthy Mini Deodorant $10